Saturday, December 15, 2012

Removed From It All


You will remember that I, in the first of my three weekly posts, mentioned reading the Divine Comedy as part of a school project. It involves analyzing an author and his methods with your own little specific group. Mine is centered around Dante. Now, when we first started to discuss the book, I was very clear and adamant on my own beliefs and how I viewed the bankrupt theology within the pages. It was something I was extremely unmovable on. So one of my group mates made a point of telling me to leave my own beliefs out of these discussions. And my question to you, is why should I?


Why should I abandon my beliefs? To be more objective when analyzing the essay? During such analysis using your own experiences and knowledge is expected. Different points of view and interpretations are supposedly wanted and create a “deeper” discussion. Also, if it focuses mainly on religion, then discussing how the religious imagery goes against normal doctrine is important in terms of the style and substance of the writer. Wherefore should I deny my group mates the benefit of another view? In terms of being more “open minded” there is something specific I would like to point out about that. If you open your mind to one way of thinking, inevitably it is closed to another. For instance, opening your mind to the concept of truth being what you make it and unknowable, closes your mind to all claims of objective truth. It is simply a fact. This is why most people want to discuss with many others who hold different beliefs, so it prevents a bias forming according to the collectively open and closed perceptions. So again I say, who am I, to deny my group the benefit of another point of view?


And finally, I am not going to ignore my beliefs. I am not going to sweep them under a rug. I am going to stand up for them and question that which contradicts them. Truth is more important than analyzing a 13th century author with a removed eye. I am not going to leave it behind for the sake of removing myself from such a debate as this. When I go into discussion, I'm taking truth with me.


-BlackFox

(384)

No comments:

Post a Comment