Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Word On Misconceptions


 People today often have a very negative view of Christians. They feel like we are offensive or prejudiced or rude etc. etc. And it is not hard to see why, many Christians or organizations who affiliate themselves to Christianity are not helping our case. Instances where people flip out and pronounce judgment on others can seem pretty common. Especially in times like today where many previously solely religious topics have found their way into mainstream politics, making confrontations more likely. The old woman who refuses to be helped by a homosexual man. The protesters who interrupt funerals. The clerk who is screamed at for wearing black lipstick. Many of the offenders going so far as to assert that the individual in question is going to hell. It is really not hard to see why people would make generalizations. But we are not all like this. Not every Christian is going to scream and throw holy water on you for wearing chains. Not all of us are going to declare you a heathen and insult you. Most of us understand that we do not know God's plan, and therefore cannot deduce whether or not you are going to hell. We are not going to make judgments on you as a person. You could be a perfectly awesome person who simply has a lifestyle or belief contrary to ours. Many Christians have friends with beliefs radically different than their own. In fact, many of us try to learn about yours. To defend you must understand what you are defending against. If you do not know what an arrow is, you will not be able to defend yourself against its point. Not all Christains hate you. We are not all offensive. We are not all going to bite.

However, it must be mentioned that “not being offensive” is not “agreeing with you on everything”. Just because I am not confrontational does not mean I need to agree with you. People can believe different things and still get along. It is not a matter of “my way or the high way”. Disagreeing with you is not the same thing as berating you. Unfortunately, this is often times not the case in the mind of the everyday person. Saying that one specific thing is inherently wrong, is perceived to be just as bad as calling someone evil. In some cases it is impossible to give a counter point without being dismissed as a prejudicial jerk. For instance, take the issue of homosexuality. I respect the fact that some people choose to live this way. It is their life and I do not control it. I acknowledge the fact it does not make them a horrible person who is automatically going to hell. I am not going to refuse to be near, or associate with, someone who chooses this lifestyle. But if asked I will still say it is inherently wrong and people should not live like that. And I will back up and defend this position. I am defending my belief, not attacking you. Yet, for many people, there is no difference between the two. Regardless of what I do they would say I am homophobic or bigoted. They say I am a prejudicial jerk who needs to be more tolerant. Tolerance is not the same thing as agreement. I respect your beliefs and your right to have them. I am not asking you to agree with me, I am asking you to respect my beliefs and opinions like I respect yours. It is not “tolerating intolerance” to do so. It is being respectful and reasonable. If you do not agree with me on a point, then say so constructively. Explain why you disagree and back up your opinion. Debate and defend your world views. Do not just dismiss mine and insult me for having them. People say that we just say something like, “That's wrong, you're evil!” But by the same token I could name a few people who simply say, “That's wrong, you're prejudiced!” There is no need to attack the character of your opponent. Use your wit and knowledge of the other side to defeat them in honorable combat. You will find it is much more enjoyable to do so.

-BlackFox


(715)

No comments:

Post a Comment